Saturday, June 26, 2010

I feel so small sometimes, in this big ol' place

So as I sit here in my bathrobe, all alone in my townhouse in Richmond, I'm getting awfully homesick! I love Northern Virginia in the summertime! Although the area in which I live has been getting pretty suburban over the years, I'm lucky to live in a house with one of the biggest backyards ever, complete with big, shady trees and no neighbors living behind us. When I was little, our yard backed up to a big open field and a little forest. One of the rules was that we weren't allowed to go into the forest alone, but my twin brother and I would somehow always manage to sneak back there. There was (and still is) an old house back there too that was said to be there since the Civil War. I don't know if that's actually true, but everyone likes to say it is!

One of the things I miss most about spending a lazy summer in NoVa is picking the violets that sprout up in our backyard. They usually come up sometime in May and last for about a month. This year, I just barely missed them but was able to pick a few little bouquets to put in a tiny vase on the dining room table. I've been doing that ever since I was a little girl and it's sad that this was the first year I didn't get to do it.

(via)

I also miss lighting bugs! I realized today that I haven't seen any here in Richmond, and that's just sad. I remember it being dusk, and my brother and I running out with jars, catching all the lightning bugs we could. Once I got older and too "mature" for that, my mom and I would walk around the block just as it started to get dark and we would admire all the lightning bugs that crossed our path.

(via)

And one last random thing I miss about being at home, is watching baseball games with my dad and brother. When I was little, I was such a tomboy. I would run around with the neighborhood boys, get dirty, play catch with my dad in the backyard, and then end the day watching the Baltimore Orioles on tv. I remember being about 8 years old and being so excited when Mark McGwire set the homerun record, and to this day, that one Green Day song still always reminds me of that day because they played it all the time on ESPN when they showed video and picture montages of the homerun race. And although the Orioles are having a rough season (and have been for awhile), I love watching the games with the boys and I especially love when I get to go to Camden Yards to cheer the O's on in person.

Camden Yards last summer, with the Warehouse in full view where they serve some darn good crabcakes and the BEST fruit salad ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment