Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm a long time travelling away from home

Have you ever heard a song that just stopped you in your tracks? A song whose lyrics just seem to resonate with you? It's not everyday that this happens to me, but one day a few months ago while listening to one of my many channels on Pandora, a song did just that--it stopped me in my tracks. It was a song entitled, "Long Time Traveller" by The Wailin' Jennys, a group I had never heard of before. But ever since, I have become a fan of every single song of theirs. "Long Time Traveller" remains my favorite and most listened to song of theirs, though. The lyrics remind me of the William Faulkner book, "As I Lay Dying" so if you like that book, I suggest you listen to this song. Really, I recommend their music to anyone and everyone. Their sound is just so pure...there's no other way to describe it. It hit me hard and made my heart swell, something that very few songs do to me. Oh and I'm always open to song/artist suggestions so feel free to comment and tell me about your favorites that I should listen to!

(via)
I've been lucky to be raised in a family where music is embraced and has been deemed so important. My mother is a piano teacher and my father owns and runs music stores that his parents started when he was in high school. All of my siblings have played an instrument at one point in their life, and most of us still play to this day. I remember being four years old and begging my mother to teach me how to play piano, as I was so jealous of all of her students who walked through our front door and got to play such pretty music. The only way I was allowed to start was if I stopped sucking my thumb...I stopped immediately and have been playing ever since. Later on when we were 8, my parents gave my twin brother and I the choice of what instruments we wanted to play; he chose drums and I chose flute, and we both still play regularly. I really think I was born to make music. Music is my therapy and it's my passion, and I'm just so lucky to have such a passion passed down to me from my parents. People often say, "Oh well your dad owns a music store and your mom is a piano teacher, of course you play instruments, you have to!" but I was never forced into taking private music lessons like so many children are; I wanted to make music. And when my hands first touched those ivory keys, I felt at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment