Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Throw your diamonds in the sky


So I thought I would do a jewelry post with a few necklaces that I've been wearing a lot lately. I've always been into jewelry, mainly because of my mom and older sisters. Every birthday and Christmas, I'm given at least one special piece of jewelry. It's also a tradition in our family to give jewelry to the girls as graduation gifts, for both high school and college. Usually if I ask for an expensive piece of jewelry, I try to only ask for classic pieces as I don't want to have my parents spend a ton of money on some trendy piece that I will only wear for a season or two.

So here are the four necklaces that I've been loving lately! And yes, they're all being proudly displayed on my copy of "Gone with the Wind." I'm obsessed with this book! I don't know why it's taken me so long to read it! But getting back to the jewelry, I'll start with the one all the way to the left:


This owl necklace is from Urban Outfitters. I got it back in March when I was home for spring break and my mom insisted on buying it for me when we saw it in the store. I have been obsessed with owls since a young age--my entire family is. We have a real, stuffed owl on our wall when you first walk into our house (it flew into my parents' car on their way home from their wedding) and one of the first Christmas ornaments my parents got when they were first married was a pretty tacky blue, glass owl that broke a few years back after our Christmas tree fell over. We have been obsessed with finding an exact replacement ever since!! I wear this necklace at least a few times every week since I've gotten it and it's perfect to layer with other necklaces as it's super small and delicate!

And now my infamous hinged fish necklace that I got from Need Supply Co. I initially went to the store with my friend to find a new outfit for a party we were attending...we didn't leave with an outfit, but we both left with fish jewelry! I love this necklace!! I love that it's super long so I can layer it with my owl necklace and I haven't seen anyone else with it. So cute!

This necklace is from Fred Flare and was given to me as a birthday gift. Elephants are by far my favorite animal...ever since I was little I've been given some sort of elephant knick knack for every holiday. I have shelves full of elephants at home and have been on the look-out for the perfect elephant necklace! I love this one because it has the gold accents and the pops of color that can really dress up just a t-shirt and jeans.

This final necklace was a birthday gift from my sister. She has been making jewelry since she was in high school (so for about 10 years now) and since she started, she's been using me as her guinea pig. Whenever I've needed a piece of jewelry for a school dance or just to go with a certain outfit, she always makes me something that is absolutely perfect. This is her latest piece. The pendant is actually a vintage brooch she found at our favorite antique store in Leesburg, VA. Emerald is my birthstone and I absolutely love pearls, so this necklace is perfect! So far I've worn it with my favorite black dress and yesterday I wore it with just a burgandy, ribbed tank top and other gold accessories. I've been pushing my sister to start an Etsy shop so as soon as she does, I'll put up the link here!

1 comment: