Friday, April 16, 2010

Live for 32


I really never intended to let it slip where I used to attend college--I figured this blog would be about my life now, and mainly a place for me to be creative. Plus, whenever I tell people where I transferred from and where I transferred to, they act all weird. I'm still keeping quiet about where I go now (although it's pretty easy to figure out), but once I realized that April 16th was rolling around, I knew I couldn't keep quiet about Virginia Tech, my first home away from home.


Living in Virginia my entire life, Virginia Tech has always been the school everyone wants to go to. The campus is beautiful and sits in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the students are filled with school spirit, the school is known for their great academics and high standards, and don't even get me started on their football team! Long story short: I worked hard, got into and attended Virginia Tech, and then made the hard decision to leave Hokie Nation to find the school that I was meant to be at. Whenever people ask me if I miss Virginia Tech, I say no, that I love the city I'm in now and there's so much more to do here. That's true at times, but what I do miss is walking to the football games and realizing I'm in a sea of maroon and orange. I do miss looking at the buildings made of Hokie Stone that I can't help but compare to Hogwart's. I do miss the pride I felt whenever I said "I attend Virginia Tech", because I knew that our student body was totally united as one.


Although I wasn't a student at VT on April 16, 2007, I do remember that day vividly, as many Virginians (and everyone else for that matter) probably do. Whenever I walked across the drillfield and walked by the memorial for those 32 Hokies that lost their lives, I would think about it. Think about how they were walking to class just as I do every single morning and they had no idea that it would be their last. So I end this post with a quote by a Virginia Tech alumnus, Michael Olsen: "Let us all lift upon our shoulders the victims we have chosen and carry them with us so that they may, through us, live the lives that they should have. Every time we don the orange and maroon, let's think of them. ... Let us carry them forward so that we can forget the one name we shouldn't remember and instead recall more than just a date."

neVer forgeT - All my fellow Hokies are on my mind and in my heart today as well as every other day. Once a Hokie, always a Hokie.
picture from here

No comments:

Post a Comment