Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Whatever comes up comes out

So no outfit post today :( But hopefully there will be one tomorrow!! I've been listening to this song 'Forest Whitaker' by Brother Ali nonstop today. I used to listen to it all the time when I was a senior and it's one of the very few songs my brother has recommended to me that I've actually liked and continue to listen to. It's a hilarious song but today when I looked up the lyrics online, it really got me thinking.

I try to be a positive person and I am pretty confident with the way I look and my body and all that. But a few weeks into this semester, this guy friend of mine (who is known to be very blunt and at times, rude) said to me multiple times in front of a huge group of people that I wasn't pretty. Usually I don't care what people say, but for some reason, it really hurt me. And I feel like it's affected me so much since then. I know I'm not gorgeous or anything, but I am happy with the way I look. At least I was up until this guy said something. Another time after that, he made a negative comment about my weight. I really have no qualms about my weight at all--in fact, I am very proud of my body and the fact that I'm not a stick thin girl. I like that I have boobs and hips and I have never been on a diet, but I do try to stay healthy by trying to go to the gym as much as I can (trying is the key word here haha). I hadn't really told anyone about the comments he made (except for my parents, who actually took offense to it more than I did) because honestly, I was just so embarrassed by it! I tried to put it behind me but I realized today that ever since he criticized the way I look, I've been thinking it myself! Like when I went out to a party with one of my gorgeous friends, I didn't even try to get dressed up much because I figured everyone would be looking at her anyway and not me. It's crazy that a few mean comments can totally change the way I see myself. The whole point of this post is that now that I've realized how much I've let negative things affect me, I need to change my way of thinking and ignore the bad and focus on the good! That's why this weekend, my friend and I are making the trip to my brother's school and staying with him. He complimented my piano playing last week and invited me to come play with this little band he's been playing iwth, saying he had told all of his friends about me, so instead of surrounding myself with guys (and people in general) who have nothing nice to say to me, I will be surrounded by other creative, nice people, including my good friend and the best twin brother a girl could ask for. Hopefully all of you will be seeing a happier, more confident girl in the near future! I just figure if I put it in writing, then it'll be easier for me to stay positive. I hope everyone is having a fantastic week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment